Diamond Clarity Refers to the Absence of Inclusions and Blemishes.
Natural diamonds are the result of carbon exposed to tremendous heat and pressure deep in the earth. This process can result in a variety of internal characteristics called ‘inclusions’ and external characteristics called ‘blemishes’.
Evaluating diamond clarity involves determining the number, size, relief, nature, and position of these characteristics, as well as how these affect the overall appearance of the stone. While no diamond is perfectly pure, the closer it comes, the higher its value.
• Flawless (FL)
• No inclusions and no blemishes visible under 10x magnification
• Internally Flawless (IF)
• No inclusions visible under 10x magnification
• Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1 and VVS2)
• Inclusions so slight they are difficult for a skilled grader to see under 10x magnification
• Very Slightly Included (VS1 and VS2)
• Inclusions are observed with effort under 10x magnification, but can be characterized as minor
• Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2)